Department History

Department History

Year Event
1909 Department established; First EE degree conferred
1910 John R. Benton appointed the First Dean of the College
1911 First New Engineering Building completed, later named Benton Hall, on the site of the current Grinter Hall
1914 The Transit Club and the Kelvin Engineering Club consolidate to form the Benton Engineering Society
1928 Graduate programs added to the college of engineering
1919 Steady growth spurs the expansion of Benton Hall—South wing completed, including: woodshop, a forge, and a foundry.
1925 John Vincent Atanasoff received his bachelor of science degree in electrical engineering from the University of Florida, graduating with straight A’s. He would later invent the Atanasoff–Berry computer (ABC),the first automatic electronic digital computer.
1927 New Engineering Building completed, now Walker Hall (mathematics)
1932 Colonel Blake R. Van Leer becomes Dean
?? – 1937 Joseph Weil, Dept Chair
1937 Joseph Weil becomes Dean (1937-1963)
1942 Dr. Palmer H. Craig, Acting Chair (4 faculty members in the department)
1945 Dr. Palmer H. Craig, Dept Chair
1946 Dr. Fred H. Pumphrey, Dept Chair
1951 Weil Hall completed
1952 Merwin J. Larsen, Dept Chair
1965 Dr. Wayne Chen, Dept Chair (becomes Dean, 1973)
1967 Benton, Larsen, and Black Halls officially dedicated
1973 Dr. Eugene R. Chenette, Acting Chair
1975 Dr. Eugene R. Chenette, Dept Chair (becomes Asst Dean, 1977
1977 Dr. Donald G. Childers, Acting Dept Chair
1978 Dr. Robert L. Sullivan, Dept Chair
1979 Dr. Blake E. Cherrington, Dept Chair
1988 Dr. Robert L. Sullivan, Dept Chair
1990 Dr. Martin Uman, Dept Chair
1997 NEB completed
2003 Dr. Mark Law, Dept Chair (became Assoc Dean, 2009)
2009 Dr. John Harris, Interim Chair
2011 Dr. John Harris, Dept Chair

Adapted from “A Trip Through Time” by Angela Ventura Medyk, “History—College of Engineering” from The Florida Engineer, and “College of Engineering Timeline”.