2018 Deep Learning Workshop
Spring 2018 Deep Learning Workshop For International Undergraduate Students
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering University of Florida Gainesville, FL USA
The intense introduction to Deep Learning theory and practice lasts for three weeks, from Jan. 21 to Feb. 11. Deep Learning is currently the most popular and most powerful machine learning techniques. The class will include Python-based programing assignments and a final project. Overall the course will meet the requirements for hands-on competency in the practice of advanced Computer Science/Electrical Engineering skills and academic writing courses in the engineering field. This program is targeted at international students who seek a short-term educational experience in the US. Students who satisfactorily complete the program will receive a certificate from the ECE Department. Students will get recommendation letters based on successful performance.
Importantly, the program provides the opportunity for students to visit UF research laboratories and work with the UF course staff. Students may discuss future MS and PhD opportunities with the department and university. Our program aims to help international students to learn theoretical knowledge, develop research ideas and skills, and improve their opportunities for successful application to US Graduate Schools. While on campus, students may meet with other faculty and visit ongoing classes and research labs at UF.
The workshop consists of 3 weeks of lectures (8 hours per week), faculty-student laboratory interaction and feedback sessions. Students will have the unique opportunity to participate in:
- Intensive instruction with a University of Florida professor in Engineering on the topic of data structures and programming language (Python)
- Customized English language program to improve skills in listening and speaking, grammar, reading and writing
- Instruction on technical report writing (including grammar, style, and content)
- Instruction on technical presentation delivery (including preparation skills)
- Cultural interaction with UF faculty and students inside and outside of the classroom
- Professional development lectures conducted by workshop staff
Specific benefits of the short course include the following:
- The international students will benefit from exposure to a high-quality and comprehensive educational experience under instruction from UF professors, along with relevant industrial and cultural experiences.
- Students will have the opportunity to interact with UF students serving as mentors in the classroom and on trips to foster cultural exchange.
- The University of Florida will benefit by increasing its worldwide reputation, and from the opportunity to use this as a strong recruiting tool for top students to apply for future admission into the university's graduate program.
During the program, student will be housed in the 3-star hotel assigned by the University of Florida. High-speed Internet access is available in each room and the breakfast is included for each student. Students will have access to on-campus dining options and 24/7 on-call staff.
University of Florida will be responsible for picking up students to campus after their arrival at Gainesville Regional Airport (GNV) and send them back to the Gainesville Regional Airport (GNV) after the program is finished. At orientation, students will be given a 1-month bus pass that gives them unlimited access to all Gainesville Regional Transit System (RTS) buses for the duration of the program. The hotel will provide shuttle to the campus on weekdays.
During the program, Liberty Insurance covers students' health insurance.
Beijing Broadway Education Technology Inc. will be responsible for recruiting students from top Chinese universities. Students must meet the following requirements:
- Minimum GPA 3.0
- CET-6 500 or TOEFL 80
- Major in Engineering, Computer Science or related field.
- Junior or senior level standing.
- Students who do not meet the requirements will need an interview (contact Sam Zheng).
The logistical administration of this program will be carried out by Sam Zheng, member of the admission committee for the international workshop in the Herbert Wertheim College of Engineering. His email address is email@example.com.
Please contact Sam Zheng for application process, costs and other details. The deadline for application is Dec 1, 2017. Please contact Sam Zheng if you have any questions.