Graduate Application Overview
Thank you for your interest in the graduate program in Electrical and Computer Engineering at the University of Florida! Please read the instructions below thoroughly before starting your application. Failure to follow the instructions will result in significant delays in receiving your admission decision. Be sure to include your UFID in any communications with the ECE Department and the Office of Admissions.
To apply to the ECE graduate program, start by filling out a graduate application with the UF Office of Admissions here.
Deadlines for Fall Semester Admission
- December 5th
- PhD applicants seeking funding
- Priority MS deadline
- January 31st
- International MS applicant deadline
- April 1st
- Domestic MS applicant deadline
Spring and summer admissions are limited to current ECE undergraduates and applicants to the EDGE program. Applications from students that don’t meet either of these criteria will not be considered without permission from ECE graduate admissions. Questions about eligibility for spring and summer admission should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
A successful application to the ECE graduate program includes the following for all students:
- Official GRE scores sent to institution code 5812. Do not specify a department code.
- Three letters of recommendation
- Statement of purpose
- Resumé or CV
- For reviewing purposes, unofficial transcripts can be uploaded to the UF graduate application. After admission, official transcripts from all previous college-level study can be sent to the UF Office of Admissions at:
Office of Admissions
University of Florida
P. O. Box 114000
201 Criser Hall
Gainesville, Florida 32611-4000
PhD applicants only – Please include the following in the first two sentences of your statement of purpose:
- Faculty advisor of interest (up to three faculty members)
- Area of interest (must be one of the areas below)
- Computer Engineering
- Electromagnetics and Energy Systems
- Signals and Systems
MS applicants only – On the Program of Study page of the UF graduate application, please select Degree Name – Master of Science, not Degree Name – Master of Engineering.
International applicants are required to send transcripts in both the native language and English translation, and degree certificates in both the native language and English after admission. For the review process, unofficial copies of the documents may be uploaded to the application. International applicants must also submit English language test scores, unless exempt.
We recommend that you keep the tracking information for your application packet, and write your UFID number on any documents sent to the Office of Admissions.
Detailed Application Instructions
Please follow these directions for successfully submitting the required application and supporting documents. Failing to follow these instructions will cause significant delays in processing your application.
Notes on sections of the UF application follow:
- Program of Study: Select “Electrical and Computer Engineering” as your program of study. Do not select “Computer Engineering.” If you select “Computer Engineering”, your application will be referred to the Department of Computer and Information Science and Engineering, and the ECE Department will not have access to your application materials.
- If applying for a master’s degree, please select “Electrical and Computer Engineering – Master of Science”.
- Applicants to the PhD program will automatically be considered for the MS if not admitted to the doctoral program. Do not fill out separate applications to the MS and PhD programs.
- Additional Questions
- Statement of purpose: There is no word limit on the statement of purpose you submit with your ECE application. The application portal states that the limit is 400-500 words, but you will still be able to upload something longer or shorter.
- Special Programs Application: the fellowships listed in this secion require separate applications. Selecting “Applied for funding” will not enter you into consideration for these funding programs. Please check the “Applied for funding” button only for funding programs to which you intend to submit a full application. For information on how to apply to the funding programs listed in this section, see the OGMP funding page and the NSF and NIH websites.
- You do not need to check the “Assistantship” and “Fellowship” boxes to be considered for ECE departmental funding. All eligible applicants are automatically considered for available ECE Department funding. See our graduate funding page for information on funding opportunities in ECE.
- Test Score Information
- Test scores: The ECE Department requires GRE scores for admission to the graduate program. The Fundamentals of Engineering exam is not accepted in lieu of the GRE. Information on the UF Graduate School’s English proficiency requirement can be found here.
When you submit your application to the Office of Admissions, you will be issued an 8-digit UFID number. You will need your UFID number in order to return and check your application status.
Step 2: Send required materials to the Office of Admissions.
Send only the materials listed below to the Office of Admissions. Do not send additional materials (e.g., merit certificates, publications, etc.) with your transcripts. Additional materials will not be attached to your application and will not be considered during application review. We will not send an admission decision until all required application materials have been received. Please send the following to the Office of Admissions:
- Official GRE score report sent directly from ETS. Use institution code 5812. Do not use a department code.
- If applicable, TOEFL or other approved English language test score report sent directly from ETS to institution code 5812. Please review the English Language Testing Exemptions to determine if you are required to submit an English language test score.
- For U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents: Official transcripts from all colleges attended
- For International Applicants: Official transcripts and diplomas/degree certificates from all schools attended in the original language, accompanied by an official English translation (only required if you’re admitted, upload unofficial copies of the materials to the application for the review process)
Mail all required documentation to:
Office of Admissions
University of Florida
201 Criser Hall
Gainesville, FL 32611-4000
Step 3: Check Your Application Status
Due to Federal and State privacy laws, we are unable to answer any questions concerning the status of your application over the phone. Do not call the ECE Student Services Office to inquire about your application status. Click “Check your application status” above to check the status of your application with the UF Office of Admissions. Questions regarding the status of your ECE application should be sent via email to email@example.com. Always include your UFID number in emails to the Student Services Office.