Travel Policies & Procedures

Updated UF Guidance on Travel

Dean’s approval and the requirement that travel be essential are no longer required. UF’s Travel Office recommends the TripSource website as a resource to help UF faculty and staff make informed decisions concerning travel restrictions.

*A Travel Authorization is not needed for virtual conference registrations. Please email with any registration requests or submit your receipt along with funding source, benefit/justification and approval if applicable.*

ECE Travel Office
216 Larsen Hall
POB 116200
Gainesville, FL  32611

The ECE Travel Office is responsible for interpreting and implementing UF Travel Directives and Procedures; originating travel authorizations; processing expense reports; reviewing all travel receipts; verifying funding sources; and handling special travel arrangements for the department.

When traveling on official university business, your travel must be authorized and documented in advance. A Travel Authorization Request Form (TAR) must be submitted even if no travel expenses will be charged to the university (complimentary travel). We recommend that you submit a completed TAR as soon as you know you will be traveling to ensure an approved Travel Authorization (TA) has been established in the PeopleSoft system before departure.

With an approved TA, travelers may prepay business expenses, such as airfare, registration fee and hotel room with a Pcard. Travelers should provide their personal credit card to the hotel upon check in to avoid non-allowable purchases on Pcards. (i.e. meals, mini-bar, room service, movies, internet, etc.)

Foreign Travel

All Faculty, staff and students traveling outside the U.S. on official university business must register their travel with the University International Center (UFIC). After registration with the UFIC is complete, please send a copy of the PDF confirmation from the UFIC to ECE Travel, either by email to or by attaching the PDF to your online Travel Authorization Request Form. Your TAR will not be processed without confirmation of registration. In addition, if you are traveling with any UF-owned equipment (laptops, phones, tablets etc.), please submit a Foreign Travel Request with Asset Management to obtain authorization for the item to be taken out of the United States. They will contact you directly with further instructions. For more information please visit the Foreign Asset Travel Request Link at the bottom of the page.

Fly America Act

The Fly America Act is a federal regulation requiring that all travel funded by Federal Agencies (Fund 201) be on U.S. Air Carriers or flights operated under a U.S. code share agreement regardless of cost, convenience, or traveler preference. It is the Principal Investigator’s responsibility to ensure that all flights charged to federal grants are in compliance with this regulation.

There are very specific conditions for exceptions to the Fly America Act. If your travel meets one of the criteria, you must complete the Fly America Act Exception Form. It should be properly documented and pre-approved by the UF Travel Office. An exception request after the fact cannot and will not be approved by the UF Travel Office.

Flights of Nine Hours or More

On flights of nine hours or more, travelers/originators may upgrade the class only with approval from the UF Travel Office BEFORE the ticket is purchased. Approval may be obtained by submitting the Travel Exception Request 9+ Hour Flights Form to the UF Travel Office at Please copy our office on your request.

Car Rental

The current State of Florida contract for rental vehicles is with AVIS/Budget. The state contract mandates that a compact vehicle be rented unless the traveler provides a signed justification for the necessity of a larger vehicle. The state contract with AVIS/Budget includes the rental class of hybrid vehicles. Book Avis or Budget reservations via the direct connect link: For business travel, select College & Universities and University of Florida to populate our discounts (AWD# and BCD#). For personal rentals, select Leisure Travel. You may also contact the AVIS/Budget State of Florida Reservation Desk at the toll-free number, 800-338-8211.
Renters should be prepared to provide the codes shown below when making a reservation:

Brand Business Use Rentals Leisure Use Rentals
AVIS (AWD) A113402 S954700
Budget (BCD) T417600 T118900

When there is no choice but to rent a car from a non-contract vendor, the renter should purchase collision and comprehensive coverage insurance on the rental vehicle through the vendor. The renter should also provide proof (in the form of a screenshot) that no contract vehicles were available at the time of renting.

For more information please visit the rental vehicles directive on UF’s Finance & Accounting website.


Helpful Links