Graduate Application Overview
To apply to the graduate program in Electrical and Computer Engineering, you will fill out an application with the UF Office of Admissions and a separate application with the ECE Department. Letters of recommendation should be requested through your ECE application, not through your UF application.
A successful application to the ECE graduate program includes the following for all students:
- Official GRE scores sent to institution code 5812. Do not specify a department code.
- Three letters of recommendation uploaded to ECE departmental application
- Statement of purpose uploaded to ECE departmental application
- Resumé or CV uploaded to ECE application.
- Official transcripts from all previous college-level study sent to the UF Office of Admissions at:
Office of Admissions
University of Florida
P. O. Box 114000
201 Criser Hall
Gainesville, Florida 32611-4000
International applicants are required to send transcripts in both the native language and English translation, and degree certificates in both the native language and English.
Deadlines for Fall Semester Admission
- December 5 to be considered for funding.
- January 15 for international students not seeking funding.
- April 1 for domestic students not seeking funding.
Spring and summer admissions are limited to current ECE undergraduates and applicants to the EDGE program. Applications from students that don’t meet either of these criteria will not be considered without permission from ECE graduate admissions. Questions about eligibility for spring and summer admission should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Detailed Application Instructions
Please follow these directions for successfully submitting the required application and supporting documents. Failing to follow these instructions will cause significant delays in processing your application.
Notes on sections of the UF application follow:
- Select Programs Info
- The fellowships listed here require separate applications. Selecting "Applied for funding" will not enter you into consideration for these funding programs. Please check the "Applied for funding" button only for funding programs to which you intend to submit a full application. For information on how to apply to the funding programs listed in this section, see the OGMP funding page and the NSF and NIH websites.
- You do not need to check the "Assistantship" and "Fellowship" boxes to be considered for ECE departmental funding. All eligible applicants are automatically considered for available ECE Department funding. See our graduate funding page for information on funding opportunities in ECE.
- Degree Programs
- Applicants to the PhD program will automatically be considered for the MS if not admitted to the doctoral program. Do not fill out separate applications to the MS and PhD programs.
- If you are applying to the online master's (EDGE) program, please select "Electrical & Comp Eng. Dis. Learning" as your program of study.
- In the personal statement field, type “Submitting personal statement directly to ECE department.” Do not submit your personal statement in this field. Personal statements will be submitted through the ECE application (see Step 2 below).
- You can apply to up to three degree programs with one UF application. To apply to additional degree programs, fill out the "Program 2 (Optional)" and "Program 3 (Optional)" pages. Please note that other departments may have different admission requirements and application instructions.
- Education and Activities
- Test scores: The ECE Department requires GRE scores for admission to the graduate program. The Fundamentals of Engineering exam is not accepted in lieu of the GRE. Information on the UF Graduate School's English proficiency requirement can be found here.
- Do not upload your transcripts or resume to your UF application. Personal statements will be submitted through the ECE application (see Step 2 below).
- Ignore this section of this application. Letters of recommendation will be submitted through the ECE application (see Step 2 below).
When you submit your application to the Office of Admissions, you will be issued an 8-digit UFID number. You will need your UFID number in order to return and check your application status.
Step 2: Fill out your ECE online application
After your Office of Admissions application is submitted, an ECE application will be created for you. You will receive an email when your ECE application is created containing a link to the online application system and your login credentials. If you do not receive this email within 72 hours of submitting your UF application, please send an email to email@example.com.
You will be asked to submit the following items via your ECE application:
- Statement of purpose
- Unofficial GRE and TOEFL scores
- Unofficial transcripts (and degree certificates, both in native language and English translation, for international applicants)
- Three letters of recommendation
Request your letters by filling out your recommenders' details and click the "Send Email" button. Your recommender will receive a link to an online recommendation form at the email address you have provided. Your resume, statement of purpose, unofficial transcripts, degree certificates, and score cards should be uploaded to your ECE application in PDF format. International students should attach degree certificates to the accompanying transcripts. Do not send hardcopies of any of your application materials to the ECE Department.
Your application will not be considered complete until all your application materials are submitted through your online application. If you have questions about your ECE application, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Always include your UFID number in emails to the Student Services Office.
Step 3: Send required materials to the Office of Admissions.
Send only the materials listed below to the Office of Admissions. Do not send additional materials (e.g., merit certificates, publications, etc.) with your transcripts. These will not be attached to your application and will not be considered during application review. We will not send an admission decision until all required application materials have been received. Please send the following to the Office of Admissions:
- Official GRE score report sent directly from ETS. Use institution code 5812. Do not use a department code.
- If applicable, TOEFL (or other approved English language test) score report sent directly from ETS to institution code 5812. Please review the English Language Testing Exemptions to determine if you are required to submit an English language test score.
- For U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents: Official transcripts from all colleges attended
- For International Applicants: Official transcripts and diplomas/degree certificates from all schools attended in the original language, accompanied by an official English translation
Mail all required documentation to:
Office of Admissions
University of Florida
P. O. Box 114000
201 Criser Hall
Gainesville, FL 32611-4000
The P. O. Box number may be excluded when using mail carriers that only accept a physical address (i.e. DHL).
Step 4: Check your Application Status
Due to Federal and State privacy laws, we are unable to answer any questions concerning the status of your application over the phone. Do not call the ECE Student Services Office to inquire about your application status. Click "Check your application status" above to check the status of your application with the UF Office of Admissions. Questions regarding the status of your ECE application should be sent via email to email@example.com. Always include your UFID number in emails to the Student Services Office.