Thanks for your interest in staying with the ECE Department! Please follow the instructions below to apply to the grad program as a current UF student.
There are three paths for current ECE students to continue to a graduate degree. Choose the scenario below that best matches your situation.
- BS/MS program: for current undergraduate students intending to complete a master’s degree in ECE at UF.
- Transfer from MS to PhD: for students currently enrolled in the MS program who want to continue in ECE at UF for the PhD.
- Readmission: for students who have started a graduate degree at UF and haven’t enrolled in two or more consecutive semesters.
The BS/MS program allows qualified UF ECE undergraduates to double-count technical elective credit hours to both their BS and master’s degree in ECE at UF. Students in the combined degree program can begin graduate course work in their senior year. This program is only available to current UF students.
Please note that graduate courses taken before admission to the BS/MS program can not be counted towards both degrees.
To be eligible for the combined degree program, students must satisfy the following minimum criteria:
- Must have a 4EG senior status and at least a year left as an undergraduate before beginning the combined degree program.
- Must have a GRE score of 310 or higher. A GRE Analytical Writing score of 3.5 is required.
- Must have an undergraduate GPA of at least 3.3 for the BS/MS program.
- Must have completed at least seven EEL-prefixed core courses and 2 EE labs.
The following documents are required as part of the application and review process:
- Unofficial undergraduate transcripts
- GRE test score
To start your application to the combined degree program:
Email the Graduate Admissions Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org, including the following information in the body of your email:
- Full Name
- Date of Birth
- Email address
Don’t fill out the UF Graduate Admission application at this time! Once the requested information is received, an ECE application will be created and an automatic email with instructions on how to complete the application will be delivered to you.
|September 1||April 1 (for domestic students)|
Students will be notified via email regarding the admission decision. Once admitted, BS/MS students will be sorted into one of two tracks:
- Honors Track: The Honors Track is for those students whose undergraduate grade point average is 3.3 or higher. It allows double-counting of 6 graduate credit hours for the bachelor’s and master’s degrees.
- High Honors Track: The High Honors Track is for those students whose undergraduate grade point average is 3.6 or higher. It allows double-counting of 12 graduate credit hours for the bachelor’s and master’s degrees.
In the semester the student graduates with his/her undergraduate degree, the student must complete the UF Graduate School application and submit the $30 application fee. Students should not submit statements of purpose or letters of recommendation through the UF application. Students are required to submit an official GRE test score. Official GRE score reports can be sent directly from ETS using UF Code 5812. Please do not send physical copies of any admissions materials to the ECE Department or ECE Student Services Office.
Current master’s students interested in applying to the PhD must have a 3.5 GPA in the graduate program at UF, and must have identified a PhD advisor who can provide research assistantship funding. PhD transfers must submit three letters of recommendation using the PDF letter of recommendation form here.
Students who have started a graduate degree at UF but have not enrolled in two or more consecutive semesters should apply for readmission by filling out an application with the University of Florida Office of admissions here. A $30 application fee and $7 processing fee are required for readmission. In the Application Information section of the UF application, when you answer “Yes” to the question of whether you’ve ever attended UF, your application will be marked for readmission. Please note that you do not need to resend your official test scores and transcripts; they should still be on file. Please do submit an updated CV and statement of purpose.