Transfer from MS to PHD

Transfer From MS To PHD

Current UF ECE master’s students interested in transitioning to the PhD program can potentially do so without filling out a new UF graduate application.

Transfer Requirements

  • Must be an active student who has completed one full academic year at UF ECE MS with a 3.5 GPA or higher
  • Identify a funding PhD advisor (someone who will be your PhD committee chair and will fund your PhD (through RA/GA))

Application Process

Email the following to

  • Statement of Purpose
  • Resume/CV
  • 3 Letters of Recommendation (one being from the funding advisor), using this form.
    • The recommenders should email the completed form directly to – they should write their recommendation in the empty space on the bottom half of the page, or they can use a separate page if more space is needed.

Once all materials are received, the application will be reviewed and the applicant will be notified of the decision via email. If you have already graduated from the MS program, you are not eligible for this transfer process and will need to submit a new graduate application for PhD consideration.