About a month before each semester begins, the Associate Chair begins a process to assign teaching assistants (TAs), undergraduate peer instructors (UPIs), and graders for the coming semester’s classes. The list of available positions includes several groups:
- Students to whom the Department has made commitments
- Students who are best qualified to teach labs or grade for particular courses. These can be graduate or undergraduate students. These come from a list including:
- Students who have applied by email or through this webpage
- Recent TA/UPI/graders who express interest in continuing
- Students recommended by faculty
- Students who have done well in classes needing a TA/UPI/grader
Note that in practice, we give significant weight to the preferences of the professors teaching the classes. Some professors recommend their own grad students as graders or TAs. This is often necessary for high-enrollment graduate classes, where only such senior students are qualified. However, students should not expect to fund their graduate programs through teaching assistantships.
Students whose primary language is not English must have a qualifying SPEAK or spoken TOEFL score to teach labs or classes (55-60 on the SPEAK; 28-30 on TOEFL iBT). For more information, see http://ase.ufl.edu/testing.html. Note that students with SPEAK scores of 45-50 or TOEFL of 23-27 can be hired for labs if they take or have taken EAP 5836.)
To apply, please complete the form below.